FIRE RATED DUCT, GREASE DUCT AND 1 OR 2-HOUR VENTILATION AIR DUCTWORK
Section 15900 Air Distribution
Application of fire-rated thermal insulation
- Required for use on commercial kitchen grease ductwork or other ductwork
such as emergency ventilation air ductwork as a gypsum shaft alternative.
- Material shall be applied directly to the ductwork
in strict accordance with the listed system and manufacturerâs
Applicable Ductwork fire rating standards are:
- NFPA-96 – standard for Ventilation Control & Fire
Protection for Cooking Operations
- ULC Standard for Grease Duct Testing
- ISO-6944 Duct “A” Standard with 1 or 2-hour external
duct fire rating
- SLC-S115-95 – Firestop testing standard
- ULC-S102 for 25/50 Flame Spread & Smoke
Acceptable Manufacturer’s Warnock Hersey design number
CL4/FRD-PHV/120-01 installed as follows:
- Commercial kitchen grease ductwork or 2-hour external fire-rated
emergency ventilation air ductwork requires the use of 2-layers
of CL4FIRE soluble fibre thermal insulation installed with
staggered butted seams per listed system instructions.
- 1-hour external fire-rated emergency ventilation air ductwork
requires the use of 1-layer of CL4FIRE thermal insulation installed
with 3" overlapping seams. Butted seams are not acceptable
for 1-hour fire ratings.
All banding and weld-pins must be installed strictly per listing
- Support rods and anchors must be properly sized and spaced
to match the duct size per listing requirements.
- All banding, anchors and support rods not matching the system
requirements will be removed and replaced.
- Sites must be reviewed with the manufacturers’ designated
CL4FIRE thermal insulation representative prior to installation
and at intervals during installation.
- Final installation must
contain a letter of review by the CL4 Inc. designated representative.